Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing.
We had some sad news to report last week, Chicks alumna Holly Mauro, a true ambassador of our Chicks with Picks ice climbing programs passed away at the young age of 32. Fellow alumna Carolyn Riccardi wrote a lovely tribute to her which we posted here. Carolyn is also helping to organize a memorial for Holly, which will be taking place in the Gunks of upstate New York this Saturday, April 14. All are invited – for details please send a message to Carolyn via FB here.
The good (and big!) news from Chicks this week is that because we still have space available, our upcoming (and inaugural) Indian Creek trip is now open to any women rock climbers, not just Chicks alumnae! However, you do need to be able to follow a 5.9 on top rope. This three-day clinic focuses on intensive crack climbing April 27-30, with an optional multi-pitch day May 1. Check out all the details here, and contact us ASAP if you want to sign up!
We also posted a fantastic trip report from Kitty Calhoun who traveled with fellow Girly Guide Dawn Glanc and their spouses Jay Smith and Patrick Ormand to put up new lines in Iceland. If you haven’t read it yet you can check it out here.
We have officially swapped our puffy coats for tank tops since it is rock climbing season, and are psyched to have Sterling Rope back on board as a sponsor for our Chicks Rock! programs. Read about why we <3 Sterling Rope here.
Don’t forget to check us out on Pinterest, where we are archiving many of the cool articles we link to. But be warned, it’s a total time suck! If you are on it too, hit us up with your link so we can follow all of our fellow climber Chicks! You can find us here: http://pinterest.com/chicksclimbing/
Did we miss any cool stuff this week? Let us know if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
– Why aren’t women climbing harder than men? Andrew (@EveningSends) has a theory: http://ht.ly/a3LC1
– Ladies! The AAC (@AmericanAlpine) is looking for female members to help host women’s exchange program w/Iran in Colorado! http://ht.ly/a5ejg
– Youth! Climbing kids are taking the world by storm: http://www.rockandice.com/news/1873-wow-brooke-raboutou-10-sends-14a-gods-own-stone
– Why, after nearly 20 years of climbing Alli Rainey (@allirainey) still feels like “I Am Still SUCH a Climbing Beginner http://allirainey.com/home/2012/04/06/i-am-still-such-a-beginner/
– David Lama Onsight Solo “Oh I think I’ll just climb that wall over there…” http://bit.ly/Hp2kYn
– Amazing! In Kyle’s first year doing ice/mixed climbing, he sends the hardest mixed route in Hyalite (M12): http://ht.ly/a3JQT
– Wow, our friends in Devil’s Lake have been busy getting after it already this season on the boulders: http://vimeo.com/39608431
– A nice “how-to” on crack climbing written by Steph Davis (@highsteph) http://www.lackhead.org/jamming/
– Some great, old school footage of Catherine Destivelle climbing in Mali: http://youtu.be/N70DLM8Az_8
– From banking to climbing – a great story from the AAC: http://bit.ly/GVAobH
– Love & Epics in the Middle East http://www.splitterchoss.com/2012/04/03/love-epics-in-the-middle-east/
– Seven sweet bouldering spots in Utah: http://ht.ly/a5eyG
– Female Footage Fridays from Climb on, Sister! (@ClimbOnSister) this week features Dragonfly Low (V9). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXloRVf4-k
– For those with kiddos, a great post from Erica (@cragmama) for how to keep those adventurous toddlers safe climbing: http://ht.ly/a3Jjw
– Daila Ojeda makes the cover of Grimper! http://bit.ly/HpXlXm
– Matterhorn disintegrating in the face of global warming: http://ht.ly/a4BHF
– NEWS: Climbing wall death due to knot failure. Check your harness. http://thebmc.co.uk/climbing-wall-death-due-to-knot-failure
Training & Nutrition
– Guess what Britain’s two-time world champion swimmer, Liam Tancock is adding to his training regime? ROCK CLIMBING! http://bbc.in/HjaDCH
– Looking for something new for breakfast? How about these baked eggs with goat cheese and spinach in bell pepper rings: http://ow.ly/a3WTQ
– Uber-climber Beth Rodden on recovery: http://bit.ly/Hhdkcg
– From the Gearcaster: how to win a crap load of gear: http://bit.ly/HfLldQ
– Do you prefer wool or synthetics as your base layer? Shelby put Ibex Woolies to the test this winter & loved them: http://ht.ly/a4QV6
– Pull-up contest w/great prizes. Many categories, not many entrants, check it out! http://ht.ly/a3HTO
– In the market for a Patagonia women’s M10 jacket? ClimbingBetty is selling hers to fund a trip to the Cascades: http://ht.ly/a4zG1
– Osprey Talon 22 backpack first look review is up. This day pack has a ton of features and ventilates well http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Day-Pack-Reviews/Osprey-Talon-22
– Lizzy Scully reports from RRR: Girls (& boys) just want to have fun at the Red Rock Rendezvous: http://ow.ly/a3PK0
– New TR from Krysia (@ventrsomekrysia) who did some spring climbing at the Red and got her lead head back on: http://ht.ly/a9DQP
– Lovely interview with our dear friend Whitney (@whitneyio) who is also an extremely talented artist – as you will see here: http://ht.ly/a4OUi
– Combined passions – rock and art: http://ht.ly/a5f7M
– $12 of junk food: “I’m not high – I just had a long day out climbing.” New (awesome) post from Brendan (@semi_rad): http://ht.ly/a6mZW
– Too cute! Check out Steph Davis’ friend: Sierra’s climbing skirt @ Moab, Utah http://instagr.am/p/JDCGO_Sbtu/
– Found by the AAC: “I don’t really know the context here…but it’s offensive.” http://owl.li/a7Hng
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!