The home of Chicks with Picks & Chicks Rock!
About Chicks Climbing & Skiing
Nearly 20 years ago, Chicks Climbing was founded by Kim Reynolds and Kellie Day. They identified a huge gap in the experience climbing could offer for women and started the first women’s ice climbing clinic in Ouray, Colorado.
Through the past 16 years, Chicks Climbing has evolved and grown. In 2009, Chicks Rock was created and rock climbing clinics in New River Gorge, Keene Valley, Devils Lake, Red Rocks, and later Indian Creek, were added.
Later this year, a new chapter begins for Chicks Climbing that includes on-snow adventures. Ski mountaineering and alpine climbing will be added to the line-up as well as new event locations. Details of a new ice climbing event in Iceland, a new rock climbing event in Red River Gorge, and a new ski event in Southwest Colorado will soon be announced.
Chicks Skiing launches in 2015, and will round out the vertical experiences designed specifically for adventurous women seeking to explore their limits and build friendships in the mountains. Chicks offers transformational experiences for women climbers and skiers domestically and internationally. The organization upholds a strong tradition of both community and of giving back, especially in areas of access and land management.
Kim has been an outdoor enthusiast for 35 years and was one of a handful of women to be recognized in the once obscure sport of ice climbing. She took to the ice in 1982, competed in the X Games and Ouray Ice Festival and has been climbing ever since. As she watched the sport grow, she saw few women taking the lead in this seemingly intimidating activity. In 1999, she saw an opportunity for women to learn from other women and gain the confidence needed to become a proficient, self-reliant climber. Thus, Chicks with Picks… “kiss my axe” was born. In 2015, Kim was recognized for her efforts and inducted into the American Mountaineering Hall of Excellence.
CO-FOUNDER and “CREATIVE CHICK”
KELLIE DAY – DAYZIGN GRAPHICS
Kellie co-founded Chicks and created history by designing the first Chicks with Picks logo. Since then, graphic designer and artist Kellie Day has put her heart, soul, and sassiness into created the entire Chicks Climbing suit of graphics, including t-shirts, ads, posters, websites, and more. Check out Kellie’s mixed media paintings at kelliedayart.com and graphic design creations at dayzigngraphics.com. Photo by Shauna Tewksbury
- We promote the spirit of giving back with “women climbing with women for women”
- $175,000 raised for The Tri-County Women’s Resource Center, and recognized as their largest donor to date
- Voted Outstanding Community Partner by the Colorado Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- $15,000 raised for the Chicks Ouray Ice Park Fund
- 2005 Kim was voted Outdoor Person of the Year by Hooked on the Outdoors Magazine
- 2009 Chicks with Picks featured on the NBC Today Show, Weekend Show and Nightly News
- 2011 featured on Outside Television’s Winter Women on Outside Today special
- Independently owned and operated
- Longest standing women’s climbing program in the history of women’s climbing
- More than 1,000 women have graduated from our programs putting in thousands of hours on the ice and rock perfecting their skills under the watchful eye of guides
- Featured in: Fitness, Shape, Rock & Ice, Climbing, Women’s Adventure, Her Sports, Fit, AAC News, Denver Post, Marmot Catalogue, Hooked on the Outdoors
SOCIAL MEDIA CHICK
Tori, a Chicks alumnae, is the voice of Chicks. She manages our blog, Facebook, Twitter and a spattering of other awesome marketing activities. She has spent the last 15 years marketing, promoting and publicizing organizations near and dear to her heart and is happy to use those skills at Chicks. Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+
We are proud top tier guides at all of our climbing events. Our guides are world-class guides, famous alpinists and the crème de la crème of climbing!
Kitty Calhoun, Dawn Glanc, Angela Hawse, Anna Keeling, Emilie Drinkwater, Elaina Arenz, and Sondra Ripperger.
OUR UNIQUE DEMOGRAPHIC
We have gathered a unique group of women into our fold from all over the U.S., Canada and Europe. They attend our clinics and are active on our social networks. They are proud to be part of the Chicks Community and would follow us just about anywhere…including online! Active on Facebook and Twitter, our alumnae are part of a supportive network of women athletes that regularly discuss gear, crags, technique, nutrition and even hot gossip in the climbing community. They are engaged, empowered and a force to be reckoned with – we are proud to call them alumnae and see them wearing the Chicks logo like a badge of honor.