Your Monday gossip – get ‘er while it’s hot!
Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We have officially wrapped up our 2012 Chicks with Picks clinics, which means we are ALREADY getting ready to rock! First up is a return to our regular stomping ground of Red Rock, Nevada for a 3-day intensive clinic March 22 – 25, with an optional multi-pitch day: March 26th. Then we have a VERY special treat for our Chicks alumnae – an Indian Creek alumnae invitational which includes three days of intensive crack climbing clinics April 27-30, with an optional multi-pitch day May 1. More details on the Indian Creek invitational will be coming out VERY soon – in just a few days, actually so stay tuned! Check out everything for our Red Rock spring trip here.
We had a very inspiring blog to share this week from Girly Guide Caroline George, who just *hours* ago welcomed baby Olivia to the world (Congratulations!!!). In her blog, Caroline reflected on her active pregnancy and how she can’t wait to share a life of adventure with her daughter – you can check it out here.
We also published a gear review of some Columbia Sportswear base layers (the midweight long-sleeved striped top and bottom) along with the Hybrid Down Jacket that Piper tested out as part of her ice climbing system at the Ouray Ice Park a few weeks ago. Find out which piece she especially did NOT want to give back in her review here.
Finally, we posted a really heartfelt and inspirational piece from alpinist Nicky Messner who returned to Aconcagua this past December – the site of her first major expedition and summit – where this year she realized she’s truly come full circle. Check it out here, along with details on Nicky’s upcoming expedition to Kilimanjaro (where you can join her!)
Did we miss any cool stuff this week? Let us know if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
- Totally badass! Ines Papert & Lisi Steurer nab the FFA of Illuminati – a burly M11+ WI6+ http://ht.ly/8WK5Q
- Girly Guides Dawn Glanc and Kitty Calhoun take a trip to Cody, Wyoming in search of some fresh ice to climb: http://ht.ly/8VqfN (part 1)
- Check out Ines Papert climbing ice of a totally different kind in Harbin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwf5WC1QEw
- Alex Johnson Climbs Lethal Design (V12) http://bit.ly/wI4HDK
- More on Alex Johnson’s send of the V12 Lethal Design – an interview with Climbing Magazine: http://ht.ly/8Vxd8
- Will Gadd on why we need to stop telling ourselves lies about the risks of mountain sports: http://explore-mag.com/2831/adventure/the-grand-delusion
- Kelly Cordes writes a nice piece on the Cerro Torre conflict on the Patagonia “The Cleanest Line” blog: http://ht.ly/8VvDi
- Rock and Ice talks with David Lama on his thoughts on freeing the Compressor Route. http://ht.ly/8VPPA
- Did you see this WI5 climbed while wearing DOWN BOOTIES?!?! Impressive! http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/basecamp_blog/wi5_in_down_booties/
- Splitter Choss on how ice climbing can be a real adventure: http://ht.ly/8VOPi
- Good blog from AAI (@AlpineInstitute) on why carrying a knife while climbing can be very handy: http://ht.ly/8VRbY
- Another great piece from AAI on using your rope in a climbing anchor: http://tinyurl.com/7sk2xyz
- Ice climbing in Alaska? How could you not! How cool that a Chicks alumna – Jayme Mack – is an organizer of the upcoming ice fest: https://www.facebook.com/groups/27131837254/
- Really inspiring video – and some impressive crack climbing for a first 5.13! http://ht.ly/8WPxZ
- Mayan Smith-Gobat climbing the Salathe headwall – awesome video (and no-hands rest at 6:00!): http://wednesdaysrocks.blogspot.com/2012/01/climbing-salathe-on-el-cap.html
- Canadian Selena Wong crushing in Bishop: http://ht.ly/8WRYQ
- Hey AAC (@americanalpine) members, vote on your Board of Directors: americanalpineclub.org/p/vote (must be logged in to vote).
- Alpine Mentors – A unique opportunity for young alpinists to train under Steve House: http://www.thecleanestline.com/2012/02/alpine-mentors-a-unique-opportunity-for-young-alpinists-.html
- Want to be a sponsored climber? Trango opens applications to its athlete program: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150545808431938&id=56560966937
- Some great tips from Katie (@AdvInspired) on how to make sure you get the most out of your next climbing trip: http://ht.ly/8WSQ3
- Sarah Garlick and Majka Burhardt ice climbing – or rather mixed climbing – or just rock climbing with crampons…last week in New Hampshire: http://instagr.am/p/G1BUVOCGgA/
- Climbers Trail Clean-Up in Las Vegas: http://tinyurl.com/7l2gujd
- Less than a month left to apply for the totally awesome Copp-Dash Inspire Award from the AAC: http://americanalpineclub.org/p/copp-dash_inspire_award_accepting_applications_for_2012
- Great news from Red Rock!!! http://bit.ly/xX9PFw
- A great roundup of this week’s climbing, skiing and general outdoor news from AAI (@AlpineInstitute): http://ht.ly/8YvZ4
- Genetic screening susses out susceptibility to altitude sickness: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=genetic-tests-for-altitude-sickness&WT.mc_id=SA_sharetool_Twitter
Training & Nutrition
- Some beginner hangboard workout tips from Gif (@rockclimberlife) ”My hangboard workout”: http://ht.ly/8WRc3
- Steph Davis (@highsteph) explains how endurance comes with more climbing: ht.ly/8YcdH
- What does training look like for a world champion ice climber? You will be amazed! http://vimeo.com/36429174
- Nice video from Petzl (@Petzl on) how to properly sharpen your ice screws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CQbOM35oY&feature=youtu.be
- The AAC Great Lakes Section folks had a great weekend at the Michigan Ice Fest: http://ht.ly/8YfcM
- A climbing trip where you can’t climb thanks to the weather – what to do? Hazel Findlay on her trip to Newfoundland: http://ht.ly/8ZBtt
- A multimedia take on seven of North America’s best adventure destinations from Outdoor Research: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/video/classics
- While ice climbing in the Adirondacks, George (@privong) spotted our poster at The Mountaineer in Keene Valley https://twitter.com/#!/PrivonG/status/166377009000357888/photo/1
- Handmade climbing hold earrings, rope bracelets, hemp chalkbags some gift ideas for Valentine’s from Climb on Sister (@ClimbOnSister): http://ht.ly/8WQsV
- Ha, these climbing themed valentines from Eastern Mountain Sports (@EASTERNMNTN) are cute! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150510294072315.362769.40449697314&type=3
- The ultimate Valentine’s Day gift for climbers: http://ow.ly/8YDdO
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear! Thank you, Columbia for your support of our programs!