Happy Holidays! We hope you had a great Thanksgiving break and spent it with a belly full of laughter. Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week (or two, thanks to the holiday!) at Chicks Climbing.
The big announcement we have is that THIS IS THE LAST WEEK to submit your application for the Eddie Bauer First Ascent-sponsored scholarship to “The Quickie” Feb. 1-3, 2013. We want to strongly encourage any eligible ladies to apply, it’s such a great opportunity to get introduced to our Chicks with Picks program. AND, if you are selected, you will not only earn a tuition waiver, but will also get up to $1,000 in First Ascent outfitting! Yeah, that’s right, check it ALL OUT here.
We also recently posted two new trip reports from Chicks alumnae! The first is from Jeannette who wrote about her trip to Red Rock for Chicks Rock! in October. She gave a thorough recap of her entire first Chicks experience here.
The second is a trip report from alumna Almine Barton, who took her first trip to the Moab desert for some splitter crack climbing this fall. She shares all the details of her trip to the desert in this post here.
Did you know we are looking for some companies to support our Chicks Climbing Scholarship program? It is a great opportunity to not only get a deserving woman out to a Chicks clinic who could not otherwise afford it, but also provides lots of promotional benefits for companies that take advantage. Here is where you can check out all the details and contact us at info(at) chickswithpicks.net if you’re interested! We are super psyched that First Ascent is going to be sponsoring one gal to come out to “The Quickie” in February and hope to get a couple more!
Do you want to stay more up-to-date on the climbing news during the week? We talk about most all of these on our Twitter feed here, but also post many on Pinterest, a select few on Facebook as well as Google+. We love connecting with Chicks online, so let us know who you are – and where – and we will make sure to find you!
Did we miss any cool stuff this week in our Gossip Report? Let us know in the comments section if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
- Super psyched to see Jen Olson so focused on training for World Cup 2013, Olympics 2014! http://bit.ly/10su5bC
- Wow, congrats to Heather Robinson! “Eye of the Tiger & Climbing” http://www.prana.com/life/2012/11/15/heather-robinson-eye-of-the-tiger-climbing/ …
- Awesome video of Ashima: Return of the Warrior Princess: http://owl.li/fpSyx
- Sterling Rope & Adidas Outdoor team member Mayan Smith-Gobat getting it done! http://bit.ly/T6fZJI
- Enjoyed this read on “Rock Therapy” http://bit.ly/UAIpOU for the positive affects climbing can have on people’s lives.
- Female Footage Fridays (11.16.12): 2 Girls in Hueco. Featuring Jackie Hueftle and Vanessa Compton. http://fb.me/20jk3fgRo
- From the American Alpine Institute: “The Piton and how to use it”: http://tinyurl.com/b7omd9n
- Climbing news roundup from AAI: http://tinyurl.com/ba5euzl
- Very detailed training post up at Climb On, Sister! (@ClimbOnSister) by Galina Parfenov on how to train for climbing http://bit.ly/UAJtlW
- Some fun & playful climbing training ideas from @1girlontherocks: http://bit.ly/TEIWbZ
- There is a nice little feature on the Head Chick here! http://bit.ly/Soy5p7
- Red River Gorge Autumn 2012 Sport Climbing Season (3) – a wrap-up from Alli Rainey: http://bit.ly/UAHIFp
- Need some Monday morning daydreaming? Great photos of a gorgeous route we climbed in Zion Ntl Park this month:http://www.elizrocks.com/2012/11/18/zion-12-route-aka-unknown/ …
- The New (Not-Quite-So-Masculine) Mountain Man: http://ow.ly/fjKFe
- Jen Vennon got a fun climbing proposal from @eveningsends - check it out on the @Prana blog: http://bit.ly/10ssIdb (and congratulations!)
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!