Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. Our gals at Red Rock have been climbing hard all weekend; we are psyched about how far they have come in such a short period of time! We will get pictures up as soon as we can, but since the Social Media Chick is going to go ice climbing (woohoo!) in Canada this week, you will see them in early April (which is when the next gossip report will be too – about a week behind).
Alumnae – don’t forget, we’ve got a special treat for you, the Indian Creek Alumnae Invitational which includes three days of intensive crack climbing clinics April 27-30, with an optional multi-pitch day May 1. Hurry to sign up for this one though, space is very limited!
Have you checked out “Chicks Chat” section of the website yet? This week Sally gave some good advice to Climbing Betty on making progress with her lead grades – do you have anything to offer? http://bit.ly/GIa9IA See what else Chicks are talking about on our forums here and don’t be shy, we want to hear from you!
Don’t forget to check us out on Pinterest, where we are archiving many of the cool articles we link to. But be warned, it’s a total time suck! If you are on it too, hit us up with your link so we can follow all of our fellow climber Chicks! You can find us here: http://pinterest.com/chicksclimbing/
Did we miss any cool stuff this week? Let us know if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
– Great read from Colette McInerney who makes an interesting observation about how much a FFA can affect climber chicks: http://ht.ly/9QhT1
– Wow, Ashima Shiraishi sends a V13! http://ht.ly/9MPGK
– This sounds freaky! Spanish climber Cecilia Buil on the WI7 Lipton in Norway: http://ht.ly/9MPgM
– Sasha DiGiulian ( @sashadigiulian) talks about the project she worked in Spain “Era Bella” (5.14d) http://ht.ly/9Ozrw
– Mayan Smith-Gobat is another climber spending spring in Spain: http://ht.ly/9OLFV
– From sport, to ice, to… Everest?! Petzl athlete Emily Harrington on her next expedition: http://owl.li/9KeR4
– Climbing Magazine (@climbingmag) snagged an interview with Emily Harrington (@emilyaharringto) before she left for Everest: http://ht.ly/9LGWA
– Hilarious and +1 for Ashima! New from Andrew Bisharat at Evening Sends: Make Climbing A Better World: http://eveningsends.com/2012/03/a-better-world/
– A little climbing science – the effects of climbing on core strength & mobility in adults: http://ht.ly/9LGdF
– Hard 5.14 First Ascent For Daniel Woods In Clear Creek Canyon http://bit.ly/GF25Za
– Good read from DPM (@DeadPointMag) which addresses why we are fascinated with kids sending hard problems: http://ht.ly/9N7YP
– Conquering fear of heights as a climber – good read from Women’s Adventure (@womensadventure) by a “newbie”: http://bit.ly/GEFbxm
– Sasha DiGiulian climbing in Spain (Ladzinski’s photo): http://instagr.am/p/IcRRwSrD85/
– The Strongest Woman in Climbing is 10 Years Old: http://zite.to/GQ5FzS
– Piolets D’Or 2012 announced! http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web12w/newswire-piolets-dor-2012
– Very sad news about the 2006 Everest miracle survivor… http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?id=20723&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
– Erica (@Cragmama) has some exciting news to share – she’s on Trango’s 2012 team of sponsored athletes! http://bit.ly/zr7Ixo
– If you ever venture into the backcountry in the winter this is a must read. http://ht.ly/9PTxU
– Planet Granite Raises Over $20,000 For Castle Rock http://bit.ly/GVX9Ns
– Big news out of Indian Creek: 2 of its hardest lines just saw FAs, including a 5.14-! http://fb.me/1J1eMheXu
Training & Nutrition
– Interesting blog from Beth Rodden on how she’s recovered from collateral ligament injuries to her fingers: http://ht.ly/9Kcuk
– Great blog from Steph Davis (@highsteph) on the meaning of “practice” http://ht.ly/9Kf4x
– How to train to climb for 9a (wowza!) http://is.gd/mP2RIL
– Margy from Geargals (@Geargals) gives the Columbia Sportswear Key Three Softshell a spin: http://ht.ly/9LBti
– Quick survey for Stonewear Designs – just 6 Q’s on ‘What Women Want’ will get you entered to win a Stonewear Designs outfit. http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e5pbdoipgzq3mb5l/start
– Yay, Brendan at Semi-Rad (@semi_rad) is making T-shirts! And they’ll made in women’s sizes, too! http://ht.ly/9M4gC
– From The GearCaster: Welcome Updates To An Alpine Classic by Gregory: http://bit.ly/GH2b2G
– Good advice from Steph Davis (@highsteph) on sizing climbing shoes: http://ht.ly/9MPAU
– Why is re-entry after a trip so dang hard? A good way to approach those re-entry blues from Elizabeth (@eliz_rocks): http://ht.ly/9M3RR
– Blog from Chicks alumna Vera who took a trip to Red Rock with a bunch of other Chicks – where some serious fun was had by all! http://ht.ly/9OxWN
– New from Tali (@cupcakemafia): Do you have a Conscious Box? If not, you should get one. http://ow.ly/9ND2H
– Definitely believe inspiration in the OIBIZ comes in all forms, maybe even more so from “regular” peeps like Brendan (@semi_rad): http://bit.ly/GIUgkP
– Now that ice season is pretty much over, the guys at Asshole Climbers (@AssholeClimbers) presents their ice climbing post. http://fb.me/1BLQrFKGR
– Hilarious article from none other than Kelly Cordes. The Prestigious HVTT: http://lasportivawhiteroom.blogspot.com/2012/03/prestigious-hvtt.html
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear! Thank you, Columbia for your support of our programs!