Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. Just a head’s up that there will be NO Gossip Report next week since this Chickadee is heading out to the Creek for a crack fix, so with limited service out there I don’t expect to be able to keep up on all the happenings. But, I will do my best to catch up upon my return.
Also coming up this weekend is our Keene Valley Girly Gathering, which will also feature a showing of Reel Rock 7 on Saturday night. We have seen some amazing pictures from the Adirondacks the past few days, and are so psyched to head up and ROCK out!
After that, we just have one more climbing clinic – our annual fall pilgrimage to Red Rock! We will be climbing there Oct. 18-21 (with an optional multi-pitch day Oct. 22) and still have space available if you are interested in joining us! Also at Red Rock this go-around, we are introducing the option to stay at the Chicks Chalet – a house we are renting that also comes with a cook! Check out all the details on that new lodging option here. If you are interested in joining us please contact us ASAP with any questions! (info(at)chickswithpicks.net).
Last week on the blog I finally started my Bugaboos trip report with a recap of our first day climbing up the Kain Route on Bugaboo Spire. If you missed it, check it out (and all the pretty granite pictures) here!
Did you know we are looking for some companies to support our Chicks Climbing Scholarship program? It is a great opportunity to not only get a deserving woman out to a Chicks clinic who could not otherwise afford it, but also provides lots of promotional benefits for companies that take advantage. Here is where you can check out all the details and contact us at info(at) chickswithpicks.net if you’re interested!
And, for those of you who are already in an ice climbing state of mind (and who isn’t?!?!), please check out the schedule for our 2013 Chicks with Picks clinics! It’s never too soon to get it on your calendar!
Do you want to stay more up-to-date on the climbing news during the week? We talk about most all of these on our Twitter feed here, but also post many on Pinterest, a select few on Facebook as well as Google+. We love connecting with Chicks online, so let us know who you are – and where – and we will make sure to find you!
Did we miss any cool stuff this week in our Gossip Report? Let us know in the comments section if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
- Hey, Creek lovers, Friends of Indian Creek is now on Twitter! @F_o_IndianCreek
- Great “Sending Sisters” profile on Climb On, Sister! (@ClimbOnSister) featuring Jenny Paul who will be competing at 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell http://bit.ly/QzlFLJ
- Ines Papert writes a trip report from a short, quick climb in Baffin Island: http://bit.ly/PdOk4F
- NEW female Nose record set by Chantel & Mayan when doing the Nose+HD linkup. It’s now 7:26 http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1936397& …
- More on Mayan & Chantel: Mayan Smith-Gobat and Chantel Astorga have thrashed the female speed record… http://bit.ly/SPIRlq
- Awesome interview with new Nose Speed record holder, Mayan Smith-Gobat. http://bit.ly/QzljVl
- New climbing routes (including a 5.13d!) put up in the arctic on the gorgeous Baffin Island: http://bit.ly/OSjrbD
- Josh Muller does it again! http://gripped.com/2012/09/sections/news/climbing-news-muller-climbs-bunda-ja-fora-514d/ …
- New hard line added to Smugglers Notch Elephant Head Buttress. http://bit.ly/VOmukw
- Interesting question from Katie (@themorningfresh) ”Is it your responsibility to educate climbers you see at the crag?” http://bit.ly/QzkxYp
- Spot the Climber! Nine ways to identify a climber when he/she is not actually climbing: http://owl.li/dYBUW
- A lot of work goes into putting up new lines which Joey Kinder captures in this Climb Tech video http://bit.ly/SiGUSA
- Fun blog from Blake Herrington on how to live a life of luxury in a backcountry alpine camp: http://bit.ly/QwMksV
- Congratulations to Colette McInerney who is now a Sterling Rope (@SterlingRope) athlete! http://bit.ly/UWsfgm
- Dave Macleod is one of the most competent climbers I know. Good lesson: http://bit.ly/R7fPyV
- What do you think? Is competition the largest remaining evolution in the future of climbing? http://vimeo.com/50105515
- Excellent post from Erica (@CragMama) on Toddlers and Helmets – From Bike to Crag… http://bit.ly/VOrzJt …
- Needles closed until October 2nd for Clean-up http://bit.ly/SOe48N …
- The latest info. on climbing conditions from AAI (@AlpineInstitute) http://bit.ly/UIZF3z
- The IFSC will pursue neither bouldering nor speed climbing for the first Olympics with modern climbing: http://bit.ly/QzlSOX
- Gray is new to the world of ice climbing & wants advice on boots & tools: http://bit.ly/PdMHE9 what are your recommendations?
- Want some structure for your bouldering workout? Check out these tips from Alli Rainey (@allirainey): http://bit.ly/VOp2iq
- Do you have a training plan like 1 Girl On the Rocks? “Training Dreams!” http://bit.ly/ParkUe
- Great trip report from Erica (@cragmama) who, along with her crew, hopped on the SENDtember train at the New: http://bit.ly/QUrr8k
- Here is it, hot off the presses! Bomber Mountain summit day report from Rochelle (@clymberchick ) http://bit.ly/AAOHI9
- Here is Dean Potter and Whisper getting in some pitches. http://bit.ly/SiHyiM
- The Adventure Journal List: The Top 10 Reasons for Bailing. http://adv-jour.nl/PsOUOw
- If you’ve ever been sandbagged, you will love this new blog from Brendan (@semi_rad): Don’t Sandbag Me, Bro:http://ow.ly/dDsNL
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!