Alpine Climbing Chamonix
Join Chicks in Chamonix, France.
Chamonix is the birthplace of alpine climbing.
In the heart of the Alps, surrounded by magnificent peaks and glaciers, our itinerary will take full advantage of what the Mont-Blanc Region has to offer.
Most importantly, you will learn alpine skills as you gain invaluable alpine climbing experience.
On this trip you will find small climber to guide ratios, ensuring the best learning opportunities and the highest risk management.
Finally, this trip finishes on a high altitude mountain route. With Italy on one side and France on the other you will apply your rock climbing skills to the alpine environment where snow, rock and ice co-exist.
We will focus on
- decision-making in the alpine
- glacier navigation and travel
- route finding
- alpine climbing rope skills
- anchor/station management
- multi-pitch transition practice
- moving efficiently across alpine rock
- putting it all together, climbing in the high alpine on snow, rock and ice
Recommended Prerequisite Experience:
- Have basic rock climbing experience, including toprope climbing and belaying
- Have basic snow travel experience, including walking in crampons
- Have basic mountaineering experience, such as having climbed peaks like our Mt. Baker Program or Colorado Fourteeners
- 5 days instruction and guided climbing by a Chicks IFMGA Mountain Guide
- 2:1 climber to guide ratio
- Ropes, group technical gear, and rescue/emergency gear are provided
- 5 nights lodging in Chamonix, breakfast included
- 1-night lodging in a high mountain hut with breakfast and dinner
- 4 days tram lift tickets
- Chicks welcome bag
- Travel to/from Chamonix, France
- Dinners and breakfasts in town
- Lunches and other extras
- Travel and Rescue Insurance** (Required to attend)
- Itinerary (may be adjusted depending on weather and conditions)
- Plan to arrive the night before at your own schedule. Lodging is covered for this night at our group lodging in the town of Chamonix.
Day 1: July 14 Opening meeting 9:00 am.
After introductions and a gear check, we’ll head to Les Gaillands, a great little in-town crag, to work on rope skills and multi-pitch transitions. This is a rock-based day with lots of short pitches of climbing and skills practice.
Day 2: July 15 8:00 am.
Departure via local bus or train system to La Flegere Tram. We’ll get into alpine rock in the Aiguilles Rouges area, climbing in mountaineering boots and working on alpine skills and efficiency on rock ridges.
Day 3: July 16 8:00 am.
Aiguille du Midi tram access to the Vallee Blanche glacier for a glacier school followed by climbing the Cosmiques or Laurence Arete – a great ridge that we climb in mixed conditions with boots, crampons, and ice axes.
Day 4: July 17 8:00 am.
Aiguille du Midi tram access. We’ll make a big glacier crossing over to Italy, climbing the Aiguille d’Entreves along the way. We stay the night in the Torino Hut.
Day 5: July 18 5:00 am.
Pre-dawn start from the Torino for another classic alpine climb in the area. We return to Chamonix via the Monte Bianco tramway and a taxi ride through the Mont Blanc tunnel. We finish with a celebration dinner in town. Lodging is covered on our last night, and you can plan to leave at your own schedule the next morning.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY:
All requests for cancellations must be submitted in writing. Chicks requires full payment at the time of booking for all programs, refunds will be issued according to the following schedule:
- More than 60 days, full refund minus a 10% administration fee
- 30-60 days, 50% refund
- Less than 30 days, no refund no transfer of payments.
***Rescue Insurance is required for all International Trips and is strongly recommended for US programs as well. For all your travel insurance needs, please contact Erin Rountree at 208-788-2870.