Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We were psyched to see that the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) honored TWO of our Girly Guides at the annual meeting this year. Long-time guide for Chicks Angela Hawse won the prestigious Guide of the Year award, while Emilie Drinkwater, our Dacks Girly Guide won the President’s Award! We could not be more thrilled that these two ladies were honored – and are glad that so many Chicks have had the opportunity to learn from these two fantastic guides. Congratulations, ladies!
Last week we posted a Red Rock wrap-up from Dawn Glanc, who is off honeymooning and sport climbing in Spain. She wrote the recap and we linked to tons of pics our Chicks sent in. Check it all out here.
Finally, our new guest blogger Nicky Messner introduced herself as “a Hausfrau with a climbing problem.” Find out how Nicky, who started climbing mountains as a way to quit smoking, has evolved into a true alpinist. She’s also got an expedition to Kilimanjaro next year you can learn the details of here.
Oops, one last thing. We checked in with one of our Chicks alumna who is walking the length of South America this year with two of her girlfriends. Trinity Ludwig is a Chicks with Picks alumna who we will not be seeing back this year – but only because she’s got a ways to go! Follow along with their badass expedition here.
All of the other articles we linked to this past week through either the Chicks Climbing Twitter account, or on the Chicks Climbing Facebook fan page (and some on both!). We provide this wrap-up because we come across a TON of great resources each week, but understand that not everyone is online all the time, or even on both (or either) of these social media platforms. So you can check here each and every week for the latest and greatest in Chicks Climbing resources.
However, we know WE may have also missed some cool stuff this week, so if there is something of interest we missed that you came across this week please, let us know so we can share with everyone else!
– The ice climbing season has officially kicked off in the Northeast! http://bit.ly/vbq1Vr
– Vertical Girl’s (@VerticalGirl) Mercedes Pollmeier sends the V7 Frisco Buttress http://bit.ly/s3kPPg
– Training pays off! Alli Rainey redpoints Pushing Up Daisies (5.13c) & Kaleidoscope (5.13c) at the Red: http://bit.ly/tSNlpx
– Any Chicks out there climb with leashes? Find out what ice climbing guru Will Gadd (@GilWad) thinks about using them http://bit.ly/sWOlfF
– Did you know there was such an age gap between Honnold & Florine who are now only 45 seconds off the El Cap record: http://bit.ly/tOUOfK
– Great post from Kelly Cordes up at Patagonia about the Caldwell family & Tommy’s attempt on the Dawn Wall. http://bit.ly/uYi2Ps
– One of the desert’s hardest cracks finally sees an FA: http://bit.ly/vIUuEF
– What is on your climbing bucket list? Will Gadd shares his ice climb ticklist with NatGeo: http://on.natgeo.com/uJGMKC
– Rope management on multi-pitch climbing: http://bit.ly/tMT11k
– Oh, hey, did you know? Here’s how not to die (common climbing mistakes): http://bit.ly/sqahPX
– Thoughtful post from Sarah (@cdnrockiesgirl) on expectations, pushing yourself & staying happy while climbing: http://bit.ly/rsRgxV
– Managing your fear while climbing by Steph Davis: http://bit.ly/t5xaeH
– Love the story of Andy Ryan’s (@aframe) son finding his “sport” in climbing: http://bit.ly/snZ12o
– Will Gadd is “Not Quite Normal” … just as the article title states. Was there any question? http://fb.me/1lvsbsfTM
– 211 reasons to wear a climbing helmet http://goo.gl/fb/W2Hmh
– Katie Levy (@AdvInspired) reviewed “Two Shadows” and interviewed authors @WingerBooks – check it out & enter to win a copy! bit.ly/vX3SlU
– Can a climbing fanatic and a casual climber have a healthy relationship? http://bit.ly/t1fWI1
– Adidas to buy 5.10 for $25 million: http://climbingnarc.com/2011/11/adidas-group-buys-five-ten-for-25-million/
– Just launched the new website for Ouray Ice Park. Let them know what you think. http://bit.ly/dNhabZ
– There’s a new climbing gym in Minneapolis, which Elizabeth (@eliz_rocks) already loves: http://bit.ly/vU2slN
Training & Nutrition
– How can acupuncture help you stay active & healthy?! You’d be surprised! New at MountainDiva.net: http://bit.ly/tspsE7
– Lovely and empowering new post from Tali (@Cupcakemafia) “Reflections on Loneliness”: http://bit.ly/rpKYVM
– The Gold Coast has to be the most gorgeous wall at the Red — even butt shots look amazing! (via Alli Rainey) http://bit.ly/rKEbr1
– Vertical Girl’s (@VerticalGirl) Nina Williams on ‘Resident Evil’ V10 – Joes Valley, UT. Photo by Beau Kahler on.fb.me/rtdmsl
– Trip report from Shelf Road where Whitney (@whitneyio) was prepping for some Thailand climbing http://bit.ly/vePrVd
– Don’t tell anyone, but Caroline George says the awesomeness of Salt Lake City living is a well-kept secret: http://bit.ly/tqDeiT
Fun Stuff (& Halloween leftovers)
– Haunted Hut in Ecuador? Yes, indeed! http://bit.ly/sdTh0E
– Last week’s Field Notes was about outdoor sports costumes: http://ow.ly/7egib
– Steph Davis’ (@highsteph) little Cajun turned one, sent the Tombstone, and is rewarded with a Clif bar! bit.ly/ruBUav
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear!