Happy New Year from all of us at Chicks! We hope that 2012 will be a great year for you all!
Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We are getting SO CLOSE to our 2012 Chicks with Picks clinics, we have just over a week before our “Sampler” Chicks come on out! We’re stocking the goody bags with lots of fun treats, including some sweet ProBars we just got in the mail last week. Yum! Are you still thinking about coming out to join us this year on the ice? Let us know, there is still room in our clinics! And for those who have been asking, the Head Chick will be out and about at the Ouray Ice Fest, so keep an eye out for her!
Last week we announced the winners in our “Caption that Photo!” contest with prizes from our sponsors at Marmot. It was VERY hard to pick the winning captions and let me just say there was a lot of sore ab muscles from all of the laughing. But in the end three winners were selected, and are anxiously awaiting their Marmot Zelus 25 pack prize to arrive at the door. Check out the winning captions along with the closest runners-up in our blog post here.
As many of our alumnae headed to the park for their winter break, or as they arrive this week ahead of the Ouray Ice Fest, we’ve been getting reports of some Chick sightings! Here’s one from the Head Chick! And here’s another from Amy Jurries who did her first rock climbing lead in Ouray with Chicks graduate Cheryl Wallace (pictured) and Kate Higgins (congratulations, Amy!). If you are out in Ouray (or maybe halfway across the world) and spot a fellow alumna please send us a picture! We love sharing these 🙂
All of the other articles we linked to this past week through either the Chicks Climbing Twitter account, or on the Chicks Climbing Facebook fan page (and some on both!). We provide this wrap-up because we come across a TON of great resources each week, but understand that not everyone is online all the time, or even on both (or either) of these social media platforms. So you can check here each and every week for the latest and greatest in Chicks Climbing resources.
However, we know WE may have also missed some cool stuff this week, so if there is something of interest we missed that you came across this week please, let us know so we can share with everyone else!
Quote of the week from ice climber Will Gadd who said on Twitter: “Ran ice laps in Marble, yes, again, but super fun. Every year I suck at ice climbing until I spend a full day on toprope, just moving.” [Have you ever felt that way?!?!]
– Feature of Black Diamond (@BlackDiamondUSA) employees’ favorite routes: Andreas Schmidt on Tippin’ the Bottle (5.11): http://ht.ly/8eHSU
– Good goal setting advice from Alli Rainey (@allirainey): Climbing training tip #3: Write out your 2012 climbing goals http://fb.me/DVP0UOv3
– This is seriously impressive! Check out how many of her goals Erica (@Cragmama) achieved in 2011 after laying ’em out there for the world to see: http://bit.ly/shsgLa
– Our friend Whitney (@Whitneyio) just tried ice climbing for the first time at Hoosier Pass; see how it went & what she learned: http://bradleysadventures.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/ice-climbing/
– Tips from AAI (@AlpineInstitute) on how to properly put an ice axe on a pack: ht.ly/8btRg
– Some cool testing from DMM (@dmmclimbing) on improvising to avoid cross loading a carabiner over an edge; lark’s foot or basket hitch? Our results: http://ht.ly/8eIme
– Carabiner orientation tips from Gif at Rock Climber Life (@rockclimberlife): http://ht.ly/8d39G
– Johnny Dawes one-hand and no-hand bouldering. http://youtu.be/03Cow7sn5w4
– Classic video of Steph Davis (@highsteph) freeing the Salathe: http://ht.ly/8d41a
– Classic badassery on The Nose (via the AAC): http://www.chickswithpicks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/KyCnz.jpg
– Really like this post from Splitter Choss (@splitterchoss) as he reflects on his time climbing in 2011 – “The Journey is the Destination”: http://ht.ly/8cdlo
– More good New Year blog posts – this one from Katie Levy (@k8tlevy) titled: 2012 Phrases of Action: How I’m to Make the New Year Rock and Redefining SMART Goals http://www.adventure-inspired.com/2011/12/2012-phrases-of-action-how-im-to-make.html
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!
This week’s Gossip Report is brought to you by our sponsors at Columbia Sportswear!Thank you, Columbia for your support of our programs!