Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We at Chicks have just one final climbing event this year, and that is our Chicks Rock! intensive clinic at Red Rock Canyon Oct. 20-23, with an optional multi-pitch day Oct. 24 – this weekend! After this weekend it is going to be all about the ICE baby, start to get your winter planned by checking out our 2012 Chicks with Picks ice climbing clinics here.
Last week we wrapped up our #whyiclimb giveaway sponsored by Marmot which had some really sweet prizes! Grand prize winner Hailey H. from Bozeman, MT took home the Marmot Limelight 2-person tent and a Marmot Mavericks 20 Semi Rec synthetic sleeping bag. We also had three other entrants that scored a Marmot Cam 15 pack and those winners were Sarah, Anne & George! Congratulations to all, and thanks so much to everyone who participated. We will be having another Marmot-sponsored giveaway in a couple of months, just in time for the holidays!
Last week we also posted a video sent in by Girly Guide Caroline George, of her and the other First Ascent Chicks climbing big mountains, scaling some impressive water ice, and ripping it downhill. Check it out and get inspired here!
All of the other articles we linked to this past week through either the Chicks Climbing Twitter account, or on the Chicks Climbing Facebook fan page (and some on both!). We provide this wrap-up because we come across a TON of great resources each week, but understand that not everyone is online all the time, or even on both (or either) of these social media platforms. So you can check here each and every week for the latest and greatest in Chicks Climbing resources.
However, we know WE may have also missed some cool stuff this week, so if there is something of interest we missed that you came across this week please, let us know so we can share with everyone else!
– Oh yeah! Sasha DiGiulian (@sashadigiulian) sends the 5.14d “Pure Imagination” in the Red. Congrats!!! http://bit.ly/nnDVHR
– In her own words Sasha DiGiulian (@sashadigiulian) on the World Cup Finals and what’s next for her climbing: http://www.sasha-digiulian.com/blog
– The Climbing Narc (@climbingnarc) has a great interview with Mayan Smith-Gobat after she freed the Salathé Wall (5.13b) http://bit.ly/nLDE6D
– Great Q&A from Will Gadd on rappel knots and V-threads for ice climbing http://bit.ly/qn1tkQ
– Awesome D-I-Y on making leashless ice tool umbilical tethers from the Alpine Institute http://bit.ly/rtnLUZ
– Great tips and tricks from Splitter Choss (@splitterchoss) for those planning on making a fall trip to the Creek! http://bit.ly/qErCJO
– Thanks to the American Alpine Institute for this great list of climbing events in October & November: http://bit.ly/ousvDC
– San Juan Mountain Guides checked out Camp Bird Road & reported that ice is starting to form! http://bit.ly/qXnhO7
– New Girl Beta from Dairy Canyon & Raiden Areas at Joe’s Valley, UT: http://bit.ly/plgHQI
– New blog from Alli Rainey (@allirainey) on why she’s come to love the steep walls of the Red: http://bit.ly/qgZpX5
– Injured & in Yosemite with young, healthy climbers, Lizzy (@LizzyBScully) reflects on what to be thankful for: http://bit.ly/qnB6v8
– Story’s been out a few days but it’s a lot of fun to read more and see more pics of the world’s hardest offwidth: http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/worlds_hardest_offwidth_report_and_photos/
– Great footage and music of Caroline George’s climbing trip to Jordan with Sarah Garlick: http://bit.ly/oatdFi
– Pretty cool list of 10 different mountains for every kind of climber: http://bit.ly/rlObK3
– Indoor ice climbing! Who’s in? http://bit.ly/qFzejs
– Climbing with Kids is Fun: http://tinyurl.com/3zaj9vt
– Wouldn’t you hate to be climbing when something like this happens? http://ow.ly/6SKjp
– This week’s climbing and outdoor news from AAI (@AlpineInstitute): http://bit.ly/oUfEKq
– Climbers Charged for Climbing New Haven’s East Rock. No Rope, No Helmets, in Tennis Shoes http://www.climberism.com/climbers-charged-for-climbing-new-havens-east-rock/
– Evolv adds Steph Davis to their team: http://bit.ly/rq51OF
– New Crampons for the Upcoming Winter Sports Season http://bit.ly/pIeS7y
– Review of the Merrel Tetra Launch boots new at GearGals: http://geargals.com/2011/10/10/merrell-tetra-launch-boots/
– How much do you need to spend on a tent? Check out our tent buying guide for helpful recommendations http://bit.ly/qGMV10
– First Ascent MicroTherm Down Shirt Review: http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2011/10/first-ascent-microtherm-down-shirt-review.html
– New gear review from Jill (@Geargals) of some really cute Sorel “Cate the Great” boots! http://bit.ly/og7Lx6
Training & Nutrition
– How yoga can help a Mountain Diva stay active: http://bit.ly/rh0Evx
– New post from Tali (@cupcakemafia) “What’s Cooking? aka The Door-to-Door Organics Kitchen Recipe Finder” ow.ly/6V838
– Great article in Women’s Adventure (@womensadventure) to get you totally ready for the ski/snowboard season: http://bit.ly/pYlHwA
– Great interview with climber Majka Burhardt (@majkaburhardt) up now at Adventure-Inspired on her latest project involving coffee & Ethiopia: http://bit.ly/rdjWQi
– Chasing powder dreams – a love story in 13 short minutes, see why Outdoor Research’s (@ORGEAR) “Downhill Affair” is a must-see film: http://bit.ly/pUqqVR
– GREAT Trip Report from Ines Papert of her third attempt at the South-East face of Mount Kyzyl Asker: http://bit.ly/ofQ2d1
– New trip report from Hayley (@climbrunliftmom) on her weekend climbing in the City of Rocks: http://bit.ly/n5Xd4O
– LOVE THIS! Jill (@Geargals) made a list of the 5 reasons to date outdoorsy women (including the minor downsides!) http://bit.ly/pseKun
– Why are obscure climbs obscure? Jenn Fields (@jennfields) finds out in another hilarious Field Notes column: http://bit.ly/q1eX0w
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!