Here on the Chicks Climbing Gossip Report you can catch up on all of the great gossip (articles, videos, and other assorted cool stuff) we talked about over the past week at Chicks Climbing. We are still taking ladies who are interested in joining us for our July 27-30 Chicks Rock! event in Devil’s Lake, Wisconsin! Sign up quickly & get ready to have a great time at the lake 🙂 Check out Chicks alumna Anne Hughes promoting the event on the morning news in Madison last week. Did you know she has “Michelle Obama arms” (see them here!)?
Speaking of Devil’s Lake, we have some more exciting news to share with you about our upcoming trip to the Midwest, which is that Boulders Climbing Gym in Madison will be hosting a slide show presentation given by our own Dawn Glanc on her 2010 trip to Montenegro where she and her team put up several FAs. The show will be Thursday, July 26 at 8 p.m., donations accepted at the door. Full details available here.
Last week on the blog we put the spotlight on our awesome sponsors at Osprey who we love not only because they support our climbing clinics for women, but also because they make (in my opinion) the best pack for both ice AND rock climbing. Find out why, here.
Has the summer heat got you looking forward to ice season yet? You can start planning for the 2013 Chicks with Picks clinics with our full schedule lined up here. Make sure you pencil us in, we have four different clinics to choose from, including the “Graduate” which is *just* after the Ouray Ice Fest. Check out the complete lineup here.
Do you have a product or website you’d like to advertise on Chicks? Here are all the details on our ad sales, please contact us with any questions, requests or the like for advertising at info(at)civi-chicks.biz!
Did we miss any cool stuff this week in our Gossip Report? Let us know in the comments section if you’ve got a link to some climbing-related goodies so we can share with everyone else!
Fun question The Most Epic trip asked this past week: Winter vs Summer. Which do you prefer? http://fb.me/2c5Q575VN
– HUGE NEWS, but putting it here anyways (since it’s at the top) Heuco Rock Ranch bought by the AAC (@americanalpine) in partnership with the Access Fund! Great news! http://bit.ly/NIzwwH
– Rad badassness. Nellie Milfeld cranks the 5.12a R “Arms Bazaar” in Boulder: http://ht.ly/c7epk
– Mark & Janelle Smiley just released their Mt. Huntington climb video, the Harvard route: http://vimeo.com/45274281 – very cool!
– Congrats to Chuck on his send! http://fb.me/1NiAlJNDn
– It’s difficult to even fathom 5.14+ (c?) slab is climbable! http://bit.ly/OzylMZ James Mchaffie puts up a new route in U.K.
– New post on Splitter Choss (@splitterchoss) “The Trad Climber’s Guide to Sport Climbing”: http://ow.ly/cavr4
– The truth about bouldering from Andrew Bisharat of Evening Sends: http://bit.ly/M0qHid
– The positives of climbing no-star routes, new blog from Brendan of @semi_rad: http://bit.ly/M0ofIF
– The Terror of Rockfall: http://tinyurl.com/6r55tst
– Good climbing read: http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec …
– 11-Year-Old Climber Crushing Grown-Up Egos: http://bit.ly/MkRNTk
– 5.11 at 9 Months: Cragmama Erica Lineberry http://wp.me/p2strK-4F
– Good tips from Steph Davis on extending cam slings http://bit.ly/NFxkGI
– New blog by Sasha DiGiulian (@sashadigiulian) on her recent trip to Iceland: http://fiveten.com/community/blog …
– Good tips from 1 Girl on the Rocks for staying calm when you start to get nervous on lead: http://bit.ly/MmpS5i
– A note on preparing for Denali by Sarah Carpenter: http://ow.ly/cau2s
– For climbers, risks now shift with every step http://nyti.ms/NoV3MR
– Lovely tribute to Eric Metcalf, who died in a climbing accident from Erica of Cragmama: http://bit.ly/L8hi4a
– The AAC has some $$ to giveaway, $25k in fact, to Crag Conservation projects. Apply now! http://owl.li/bJrGd Last year: http://owl.li/bJrGe
– So sad. At least 9 dead in French avalanche, police say http://bit.ly/NAgrg6
– This week’s climbing, outdoor and SAR news courtesy of the AAC: http://tinyurl.com/d57bh48
– Sad News From China about Yan Dongdong. http://on.fb.me/NuXkAM (A contributor to Alpinist 39.)
– New review, La Sportiva Trango EVO GTX boots http://bit.ly/LYL938
– 3 tests to a good girl’s harness: good for managing gear, hanging belays & peeing. Arc’Teryx harness REVIEW: http://coastmountainculture.com/can-you-pee-in …
– Amy (@TheGearcaster) introduces us to a new climbing rope with two different diameters: http://bit.ly/OtWh5d
– Another tick for wool! Stink Test: Never-Washed T-Shirt Worn For Months: http://ow.ly/caIpq
– How cool is this? The AAC announces a new Benefit Rope! http://owl.li/c8TIT They partnered with the Access Fund (@accessfund) and Sterling Rope (@SterlingRope) to produce it!
– Great blog from Cliff Mama (@cliffmama) “A Mother’s Plea to Women’s Activewear Clothing Companies” http://bit.ly/NAi2Tn
– Fancy new gear from Petzl! http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/new …
– Check out the details of Steph Davis’ (@highsteph):October Indian Creek crack weekend: http://moabbaseadventures.com/services/rock- …
– SCARPA athlete and Chicks Girly Guide extraordinaire Angela Hawse gives a clinic on anchor building at the Teton Boulder Park… http://fb.me/NTDN2Qpd
– Born Out There: Caroline George Finds Summer Ice in Chamonix http://bit.ly/OShbyr
– Great trip report from Sarah (@cdnrockiesgirl) from her recent climb time in the Bugaboos with Sarah Hueniken’s clinic: http://bit.ly/NAqqCa
– This is great stuff. New from Chicks alumna Elizabeth: Finding my inner athlete: http://www.elizrocks.com/?p=1184
– Gorgeous! The view from Mont Blanc is a pretty darn good one. Photo by Marie DeJournette. http://ow.ly/i/KZMz
– Majka Burhardt: Writer, Climber, Guide was in Chamonix and swung by EpicTV Adventure to chat with Zoe Hart about… http://fb.me/1tqKHlqKP
– Another great one from Brendan of Semi-Rad: “The Things That Make Us” http://bit.ly/P2Sn7d
– My Newest Hero: http://bit.ly/OzzqUO
If you have a blog entry that you think would be of interest to the women of Chicks Climbing please let us know! We love getting contributed content from other women – anything from trip reports, nutrition and training tips, to videos. We want to share your resources with the community – much like we do with the Gossip Report and are more than happy to re-publish and share links on behalf of the women’s climbing community!